PANIC!!

Hello again. I have had my latest labs and it has caused me great and unexpected concern, and I would as always value your opinion on them and the possible meaning of them. Diagnosed in Nov 04, very poorly, now on good HAART and doing well. These are my CD4 and % numbers, every blood test since then: CD4 - 31, 115, 159, 202, 168, 199, 209, 205, 204, 260, 248, 366, 356.

% - 2.8, 5.0, 7.8, 9.1, 10.0, 11.8, 11.6, 11.9, 12.9, 13.1, 14.4, 15.6, 16.8.

As you can see, from a very low baseline in both counts, I have had a steady increase back to health. Today I had my new set: the percentage has risen again, by a whole percentage point to 17.8, BUT THE CD4 HAS DROPPED BY OVER A HUNDRED TO 244! How can this be? Should I be concerned? Could it simply be a typographical error (the 3 is next to the the 2!). I am in a panic, with all the ghosts of the past rising. What could have caused this? Thankyou,

NB (UK)

Thanks for your post from the UK.

No need to panic or even to be concerned over a single lab test- there's a lot of variation in absolute CD4 cell counts. So long as you're otherwise doing fine, the continued increase in CD4% provides very strong support that your immune function is continuing to improve.

So, if I were you, I'd put the ghosts back to bed (or at least use them as a tool to remember to be adherent to your medications). If the ghosts continue to haunt you, I'd simply have the test repeated.

Best, BY

Starting meds soon
Can I take same drug but different label?