Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

Ask the Experts About

Choosing Your MedsChoosing Your Meds

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

How much food is enough?
Feb 27, 2007

Hi!

I am on reyataz/norvir/truvada, and take my meds religiously and regularly at 6:30 AM every morning. On weekends, I generally just awaken long enough to swallow the 4 pills, then go back to bed. Reyataz is supposed to be taken with food...while I have a full breakfast during the week, on weekends I'm not ready to eat breakfast that early. How much food is sufficient to ensure the efficacy of the reyataz? A slice of bread? Some almonds? I'm looking for something simple, so I can get back to sleep quickly.

Even on weekends, I have breakfast within an hour or two of taking the meds...is that soon enough for the reyataz, or should I make sure I eat something at the exact time I'm taking the meds.

Many thanks for your information and advice!

Response from Dr. Pierone

There is probably not a minimum amount of food necessary for Reyataz to be effective when someone is on Reyataz boosted by Norvir because the blood levels are so much better than unboosted Reyataz. There is no reason that you need to take this regimen at the same time every day so it makes more sense to simply things, sleep in, and take your medications with breakfast. If you don't feel comfortable changing the timing of your medications, then a light meal (300 calories or so) was shown to raise blood levels compared to the fasted state. Good luck!

Previous
KS Treatment with Abraxane
Next
Starting meds soon

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.