Reyataz to Kaletra Switch

Hi Docs! Thanks for looking over my question. I have had an undetectable viral load and a CD4 count of almost 1200 for the last 6 years on my present regimen (we caught the HIV early). Recently, I have had to work with a gastro doc, due to a lot of GI upset issues. I reluctantly had to trade out my Reyataz (unboosted) to Kaletra. Will this change prevent me from using Reyataz in the future? I am blessed to have a Geno/Pheno that does not indicate resistance to any drugs at present. This switch was made because I had to implement Nexium into my regimen. Thanks for your time and consideration of my request.

Mark

Hello, and thanks for posting.

Switching from one protease inhibitor to a different one does not close the door on switching back. Changing medications for tolerability usually involves a simple switch and during the changeover viral replication stays controlled and no drug resistance develops. On the other hand, if drug resistance has developed, then there is usually no advantage to going back to a medication which has previously failed.

treating malnutrition and drug resistant virus?
2 Weeks On Atripla, Good so far!