KS Treatment with Abraxane

I have been getting chemo (doxol)for ks since July 2005. The lesions haven't gone away and now my doctor wants to bump me up to "abraxane". My hiv diagnosis was October '88. Have been on numerous antivirals since 91. From Dec 04 to present Norvir, Viread, Reyataz, Ziagen. From '99 to 04 Viramune and Combivir. CD4 currnetly at 350. Viral load not detectable. Before current antivirals, virla load has been in the not detectabel to 3500 range with occasional spikes to as high as 28000. Your thoughts? Thanks.

Hello again, and thanks for posting.

Have the KS lesions done anything for the last 2 years on Doxil? It is unusual for nothing to happen in response to chemotherapy. Sometimes the chemotherapy does not work with continued enlargement of KS lesions and development of new KS lesions. But more often there is a partial or complete shrinkage and disappearance of the KS lesions as a result of chemotherapy, especially with an undetectable viral load.

Sometimes in response to chemotherapy KS will change from reddish or purple raised lesions to flat brown or dark lesions. These hyper-pigmented lesions represent burnt out KS or scar tissue and tend to gradually fade over the course of years.

Abraxane is a form of paclitaxel, and this agent has good activity against KS, the decision to use it should be directed by a clinician well versed in management of KS. If you can clarify what has happened to the KS since you have been on chemotherapy I might be able to better answer. Best of luck!

Developed Abcess on face and lost 12 pounds
On ARVs and pregnant