Atripla and RA

I have had rheumatoid arthritis for over 20 years. Will start HAART treatment in a few weeks (new HIV/AIDs). My CD4 count is 183. I can't take Methotrexate or Humira because of this. I am allergic to NSAIDS. Am suffering with painful swollen joints because no treatment for RA for now. My ID doc has talked about using Atripla as one of my meds.. forgot the other. DO you think these will help the RA?

It is possible that getting HIV infection under control may help your joint inflammation. There are some people with HIV infection who develop an inflammatory arthritis similar to rheumatoid arthritis which improves with antiviral therapy. Since you have a long history of RA it seems unlikely that HAART will be a panacea.

But once you have viral replication under control and higher CD4+ lymphocyte counts you should be able to take some of the disease modifying agents for rheumatoid arthritis.

Let us know how things turn out and best of luck!

ACUTE HIV, Should I go on Meds or wait?
Help me choose the right drugs to switch to