Best trt for KS

Hi Dr I'm having trouble with Kaposi's sarcoma, the biggest being severe edema of the lower extremity. I've been on and off chemo with Doxil. It seemed to help in the beginning, but its now failing. Is there a better drug/treatment?

Hello, and thanks for posting.

The usual second line agent for KS which is not responding to Doxil is paclitaxel. There are other agents that may be useful and these include Abraxane (another form of paclitaxel), vinorelbine, etoposide, imatinib (Gleevac), and IL-12.

It is also important to establish virologic and immunologic control of HIV infection as well. Another essential consideration it to have your care coordinated by an oncologist with experience in treating KS.

Let us know how things go and best of luck!

Side effects of Medication
ACUTE HIV, Should I go on Meds or wait?