Which combination is best?

Hi, Thanks for a valuable site.

I have been poz since 2004, T-cells now 240, viral load 160,000. My doctor has recommended beginning therapy this month. I have qualified for a three-year study which will keep my poz status anonymous and provide meds free of charge. I will be given truvada and viramune OR truvada and reyataz. Is one regiment better than the other for a treatment naiv patient? What would you recommend for a first-line therapy? (And because I work in a business where my face is part of my collateral) what is the risk of these regiments causing lipoatrophy? I am 35, athletic, slender and in very good condition. Thanks again for your help.

I suspect you mean the study is comparing Truvada + Viramune versus Truvada + Reyataz + Norvir. When Reyataz is taken with Truvada, Norvir must be added to counteract the effects of Truvada on Reyataz (it lowers the Reyataz levels).

Assuming that is the case I think that either combo should work. There are not much data on Truvada and Viramune but there is for Truvada and Sustiva, which is somewhat similar.

The benefits to you in being a study may outweigh the limitations of being in a study. These are solid regimens.

As far as fat wasting, there are not much data but I do not expect that to be a problem for either combination. More data regarding HIV therapies and fat wasting will be presented at a major US HIV conference at the end of this month.

cd4 count
CD4 COUNT