Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Choosing Your MedsChoosing Your Meds

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Falling viral load and CD4's
Feb 13, 2007

I believe I was infected in July 2006 (and seroconverted in August 2006). In September, I had a viral load of 8,000 and my CD4 was 586 (29%). By early December, my viral load had dropped to 2,800, while my CD4 count had dropped to 373 (23%). I just got tested again (2 months later), and my viral load was down to 865. Unfortunately, my CD4 count was also down significantly -- to 228 (25%). Given my relatively low viral load, why is my CD4 dropping so quickly as well? Is it time to go on meds? P.S. -- In early January, I had a nasty methicillin resistant staph infection, treated with Bactrim, which had resolved by the time of my third labs. Could this have caused or contributed to the CD4 drop?

Response from Dr. Wohl

Your CD4 cell count is not clearly dropping but seems to be bouncing around if you look at the CD4 percent which have ranged from 23% to 29%. I wonder if yoru staph infection and treatment could have lowered your overall number of white blood cells leading to a low absolute CD4 cell count and only a modest dip in the CD4 percent.

I'd continue to follow the trends in your CD4 counts before I would react.

DW

Previous
cheilitis
Next
cd4 count

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.