Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter 

RE: Understanding Lifespan

Thanks very much for your response to my query. I'll take your comment of "excellent questions" to mean that after six weeks of research since my diagnosis I'm on the right track of learning. :-D

I was wondering if I could impose on you to flesh out your statement: "There is more to life, and death, than mitochondria."

My research is pointing me towards believing that you can't learn about Lifespan without learning about aging, and it seems that you can't talk about aging without talking about mitochondrial damage/depletion/mutation. Is that a wrong understanding, or were you being more philosophical?

Just trying to learn all that I can, but it's hard to understand what is accepted in the mainstream vs that which is more controversial.

Thanks again for all the work you do for us!

I am no expert of the aging process. In the context of HIV infection there has not been much to suggest that prognosis is associated with factors related to these organelles. We think about mitochondria mostly in terms of their vulnerability to the effects of certain HIV medications. Maybe may well learn that there is more to it.

There are various theories regarding how and why we age and you have undoubtedly read about many of these. The ability to repair DNA seems to be the focus of some theories. Free radicals may cause much of the damage and mitochondria have a role in protection from these. So there may be is a central role for mitochondria aging.

Treatment Limbo...
Switching to Reyataz