Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter 
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Choosing Your MedsChoosing Your Meds

Rollover images to visit our other forums!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

RE: Understanding Lifespan
Feb 13, 2007

Thanks very much for your response to my query. I'll take your comment of "excellent questions" to mean that after six weeks of research since my diagnosis I'm on the right track of learning. :-D

I was wondering if I could impose on you to flesh out your statement: "There is more to life, and death, than mitochondria."

My research is pointing me towards believing that you can't learn about Lifespan without learning about aging, and it seems that you can't talk about aging without talking about mitochondrial damage/depletion/mutation. Is that a wrong understanding, or were you being more philosophical?

Just trying to learn all that I can, but it's hard to understand what is accepted in the mainstream vs that which is more controversial.

Thanks again for all the work you do for us!

Response from Dr. Wohl

I am no expert of the aging process. In the context of HIV infection there has not been much to suggest that prognosis is associated with factors related to these organelles. We think about mitochondria mostly in terms of their vulnerability to the effects of certain HIV medications. Maybe may well learn that there is more to it.

There are various theories regarding how and why we age and you have undoubtedly read about many of these. The ability to repair DNA seems to be the focus of some theories. Free radicals may cause much of the damage and mitochondria have a role in protection from these. So there may be is a central role for mitochondria aging.

DW

Previous
Treatment Limbo...
Next
Switching to Reyataz

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.