Atripla. Hard Schedule

I've been taking Atripla since Dec 8th. I'm a college student and the first month it was easy to adhere to taking it at the same exact time every night on an empty stomach. However, I wasn't in school. Now that school is back in session my schedule varies. I usually take it between 1030-11p.m at night. However, some nights I want to go to bed sooner. Is it okay to take the medicine sooner or should I wait for the exact time frame every night? Also, the food question. Sometimes, between work and school I may not have a chance to eat past 3p.m, meaning i'm hungry for a lite snack after work usually around 930. Will taking food affect the performance of the medication? or just make the side effects a little worse?

Thanks for your post.

I think that you're fine-- while it's reasonable to try to take your medicine at the same time, every night, I don't think that it's necessary. The food issue exists primarily because of increased absorption of the medication (and risk of increased side effects). If you're not having issues with side effects, this shouldn't be a problem for you.

From a practical standpoint, I simply ask my patients who take Atripla to take it every night, prior to bed (whenever that is), and not to worry about the food restriction, so long as side effects are acceptable.

Hope this helps, BY

when should I start hiv meds
Thank U