Baby and HIV+ mother

I am an HIV+ young women and I just found out I am having a baby. I'm not on any meds, cd4 are about 500 vload is about 1000, and was wondering what process will I have to go through to keep my baby from becoming HIV+

Thanks for your post.

I'm sorry to hear about your new diagnosis. Without treatment, HIV+ mothers have about a 1 in 3 chance of tranmitting the virus to their baby. If effective HIV treatment is started before delivery, the risk of transmission drops to around 1% or less.

One of the most important areas of HIV treatment is just this: prevention of transmission from mother to child. You should fine an experienced HIV treater. She or he will do additional testing (such as HIV resistance testing) and recommend the most appropriate combination treatments for you; after delivery, you can probably stop treatment for HIV, since your current CD4 count doesn't warrant continuing treatment.

Best of health to you and your unborn child. Please feel free to write back at the forum anytime. BY

Weird CD 4
Lymphoma and new HIV Diagnosis