HIV and joint replacements

My CD4 count is bounces between 650 and 750 my % of CD4 is in the lower 30% range, and my viral load is <50 I was told this is considered undetectable, I'm scheduled for a hip replacement. How worried should I be about getting a staff infection that can affect the prostetic? I am told by my HIV doctor I should not be so worried. Should I be? Thanks Mr. nervous!!!!!

Thanks for your post.

Surgical procedures among persons with HIV (particulary those with normal CD4 counts) does not carry any additional risks. Bacterial infections can and do complicate surgical procedures, but the relative risk is low-- usually in the 1-2% range-- and are typically treatable. It's also important that your surgeon and anesthesiologist know about your HIV and HIV medications, since there is a potential for drug-drug interactions.

We have a number of patients in our clinic who have had very successful hip replacement surgery- some for HIV-related osteonecrosis, others for the typical aging-related wear and tear. I'm in genearl agreement with your doctor, you shouldn't be overly worried about the effect that HIV will have on the surgical outcomes.

Best of luck and health; let us know how things turn out. BY

Hiv Virus Type 2
Thank You