Can Bactrum cause a decrease in cd4 or increase in viral load?

My first set of labs came back with cd4 at 299 and viral load at 6,000. Dr. suggested starting meds. I think its too soon. He then put me on long term bactrum and ran labs a month later...cd4 246 and viral load 14,000. Any coralation?

Hello and thank you for your post.

No, there's no correlation between your lab changes and the use of Bactrim (sulfa)-- the changes in your CD4 count and viral load are well within the normal variation of the tests.

On a separate note, if your doctor has placed you on Bactrim to prevent Pneumocystic pneumonia, you may not need it-- you have two CD4 counts above the 200 cell level that indicates the need for PCP prophylaxis.

Best of health to you. BY

meds and rectal cancer
can i wait to start meds?