Which combination next?

Ive been on Sustiva and Truvada for 12 months, but have recently changed because I was having side-effects from the sustiva (mild diarrhoea, occasional insomnia, and mild depression).

However Ive recently changed to Nevirapine and Truvada, and this is causing me even worse side effects; even more diarrhoea, vomiting, and headaches!

Should I go back on the Sustiva and live with the side effects like I have done for the past year, or should I completely dump this NNRTI class and try a PI?

I know that PIs often have their own problems which worry me. If I were to move to a PI, which would you recommend for least side effects?

What about using T-20 instead, or should I leave this for later use?

Thanks,

Pete

Dear Pete,

Hold off on the T-20. With several excellent first-line HIV medications available, you should not have to suffer from side effects. I would move to a new class of meds. You could try a PI that includes a low dose of Norvir such as Reyataz. This will only add one more pill to your regimen and is once a day.

If the Norvir gives you trouble another possibility would be to take Reyataz without Norvir but then you would need to switch your Truvada to another couple of nukes as the tenofovir in Truvada drops the Reyataz level dangerously low when Norvir is not added. Fortunately, most people tolerate a wee bit of Norvir just fine.

Some have tried quadruple nukes (e.g. Truvada+abacavir+AZT). I would reserve this until after it was clear that your could not tolerate a PI. Lastly, the new Merck integrase inhibitor will be available later this year. This plus some Truvada may do you fine.

You have options.

On/Off Meds
suppliments