Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Choosing Your MedsChoosing Your Meds

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Help. Need ur opinion
Jan 22, 2007

I recently found out that a person I had sex with was newly diagnosed with HIV and untreated. WE each engaged in open mouth kissing,and oral sex with no ejaculate involvement. During foreplay, my penis went partially inside his rectum. It was there for no longer than 30 seconds. I stopped and got a condom and used the condom for intercourse. I ejaculated outside of his body with the condom off after intercourse, and he never ejaculated. This was around 11/26/2006. On 12/3/2006 I was diagnosed with Strep throat, and either a stomach virus, or vomiting and diarrhea associated to the strep. I was given a shot of penicillin and the strep throat cleared up, and i recovered from the stomach virus over the next week. I was fine for the month of December, went on a vacation for new years, and came back with another sore throat.. went to doctor on Monday, Dr. said it was not classic signs of strep and the rapid strep test was negative, but treated with Zithromycin Tripak. Throat is improving with the Tripak. I have a history of being PARANOID about HIV exposure. I am in the medical field and I analyze every thing that goes on with my body. Partially because I am homosexual, I always wonder when I get a sniffle, or anything, if it could be HIV.. so.. that being said.. I noticed yesterday a cubital lymph node that is slightly swollen, but mostly really tender to touch. It is the ONLY lymph node that is palpably swollen in my body, but I thought it unusual, and at my elbow of all places??? So.. long story short, and I apologize for rambling, do you think that i was exposed to HIV, and that there is a chance I have contracted it?

Response from Dr. Wohl

It is hard to say. You should have HIV testing done with both an antibody and viral load test. This will answer your question best.

As you know, there is more than HIV that can be caught out there. Syphilis can cause lymph node swelling and gonorrhea a sore throat. It does not sound exactly like you have been infected with one of these but can also be looked for.

DW

Previous
Is my daughter negative or positive?
Next
Clarification of meds with foods

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.