Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

Ask the Experts About

Choosing Your MedsChoosing Your Meds

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

HIV in Serbia
Jan 16, 2007

42 , yrs from Serbia .Tested HIV+ on Oct 2 `06 : CD4=58 VL=undetectable ? Prof . Jevtovic Clinic for Infectual &Tropical deseases in Belgrade Dg : Infektio HIV CDC Gr3 & Candida Eshofagithis & Genital herpes & Warts . Th : Epivir2x1=300 mg Ziagen 2x1=600mg Stocrin 1x1 600mg Bactrim 2x1 mon,wed, fri..... from 10 Oct. Q1: What should I expect in short time period say 6 months and what in a year. Q2:Can stress (I`m very depressed because living w.family....and social stigma round here is abnormal) reduce a number of CD4 cells....? Q3 : What is the risk of the O.I`s in my case ? What is the " safe zone " and how to get to it? Are same O.I that are possible newerthless the CD4 count & VL? (which could make me an ivalid , because I don`t wanna be on my wife back.) Q4: My family cancer history is heavy : mother past away `98 father `87 , .....distant sister `03 : Is there a greater risk for me to develop same form of it. I`m REALLY SCARED because I have seen the concequences of chemo & radiation. I also have a hammoroides and varicos veins on my right leg which had to be operated.( but there is a stigma beetwen doctors too with that ...no one wan`t to operate a HIV+ ).Any sugesstions on that? What are my chances ? (I know that you don`t have a crystal ball , but from your expirience ) My dr. says about 10 years , but he doesn`t say with what quality of life. Q5 : Is it possible for me to make myself secure from furher "major" O.I`s because I`ve got here (CD4=58) with no "major" ones ( PCP , meninghitis )? Many ,many thanks

Response from Dr. Pierone

Hello, and thanks for posting.

The one part of your history that I don't understand is the undetectable viral load with a CD4+ lymphocyte count of 58. If you were already on this HAART regimen then it would make more sense.

Putting aside the viral load issue for a moment, I would stress that a diagnosis of HIV infection or AIDS does not mean that your lifespan will be limited to 10 years or some other arbitrary number. Individuals with access to competent medical care and HIV medications can live long and healthy lives in spite of a diagnosis of HIV.

I don't have any recommendations regarding accessing surgical care in your country but Professor Jevtovic may have a surgeon in mind that he can refer you to. Your might also ask him what he thinks may be going on with the undetectable viral load and whether you should be retested before you start therapy.

Let us know how things turn out and best of luck to you!

Previous
New Medication for Hep C Patients
Next
magnetic couple, Post Exposure Prophylaxis

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.