The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App 
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Ask the Experts About

Choosing Your MedsChoosing Your Meds
Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question
  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Risk of tuberculosis/MAC infection to HIV negative caregivers.

Jan 16, 2007

Our brother recently disclosed that he has Aids and is being treated for PCP, MAC/tuberculosis. During the treatment process we provided comfort and company. He began his hospitalization in a regular room, but was subiquently moved to ICU with airborne precaustions. What is the risk that we may have contracted tuberculosis during his infections stage before positive diagnosis and isolation. (We have a grandchild expected in April) Should we get a TB test to make sure we are not positive for TB? Should we allow him to visit the new baby?

Response from Dr. Young

Thank you for your post.

I'm not sure if you are stating that your brother has both MAC (Mycobacterium avium complex) and tuberculosis (Mycobacterium tuberculosis, MTB) or just MAC. In the later case, there's no risk to exposed family members.

In the case of dual infection with both MAC and MTB, there is the possibility of exposure to the contagious MTB. While this risk actually is lower among persons with more advanced HIV disease or AIDS (as manifest in your brother's case with PCP), since MTB infection tends to cause less lung abscess(the contagious form) in AIDS patients than in those with healthier immune systems. Nevertheless, if your brother ultimately tests positive for MTB, any family members in contact with him should get TB tested; I'd avoid contact with the new baby until this is sorted out (or at least until his doctors determine that he's not contagious).

Best of health to you and your family. BY

COPD lymph node
New Medication for Hep C Patients

  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

 Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS



This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.

Powered by ExpertViewpoint