Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Choosing Your MedsChoosing Your Meds

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

COPD lymph node
Jan 16, 2007

Dear Dr. Young, I'm poz for 2,5 years with CD-4 700 - 750, VL 1300-1360. I'm 27 yo and have been very healthy. Smoking - yes for 8 years but I quited smoking once I tested positive Sep 06. Since that time I started developing very strange half-dry cough and consulted a pulmonologist. She suspected COPD after several pulmonary function tests and X-ray etc. Surfing in the I-net I found some info about accelerated emphysema/COPD in HIV+, however it was all about people after 40 with longer smoking history. (I've been tested for TB - negative). COuld it really be COPD in 27? Are there any other HIV-associated health complication s with similar symptoms: chronical cough, shortness in breathing, the feeling of lack of oxygen? One more thing: with low viral load I have just one swollen lymph node for 3 months (I know it's possibly swollen for some other reason)in the triangle under my right ear, painless and around 1 cm. Is it normal that only 1 LN non-symmetrically swollen becuase of HIV? Thank you so much and regards from rainy Moscow, Russia.

Response from Dr. Young

Dobry dien, from frigid, snowy Colorado.

Thank you for your post and questions.

Chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD, emphasema) appears to be more common among persons with HIV than HIV negatives. The reasons for this are unclear, but tobacco smoking seems to certainly be a contributor. Even though you've quit smoking, the earlier use may have contributed as can the second-hand exposure in Russia's notoriously smoke filled restaurants and clubs. It's certainly disheartening to hear about your medical findings at such a young age- but multiple pulmonary function tests can't be wrong. Chronic cough can certainly be caused by multiple conditions, though the shortness of breath is more likely associated with COPD than simple bronchitis. Early onset COPD can be associated with other medical conditions, including one called alpha-1 antrypsin deficiency, or other immune deficiencies (but these are usually manifest by sinus and lung infections from childhood). What's not clear is whether starting HAART (even with your high CD4 count) would offset any progression in the COPD, though it's tempting to speculate about this.

As for your small, solitary lymph node- this is not a uncommon finding among many patients, though deserves medical follow up. Should the node enlarge in size, or should more develop, I'd make sure that your doctors are aware of the changes.

I hope this helps, best of health to you. BY

Previous
To all the wonderful Dr.'s
Next
Risk of tuberculosis/MAC infection to HIV negative caregivers.

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.