Re-cd4

Hi Doctor Ben, Its been a few months since i posted but just a reminder that my previous posts were in regards to my numbers being pretty good but my cd4 percent not so!!. My percent dropped to below 8 so my doctor and i decided it was time to start meds. Viread (new to Thailand), 3tc and Stocrin were chosen approx 3 weeks ago ....only 1 night of strange dreams and the rest has been very easy tolerated. Today i returned for some tests to check my liver and to my surprise my results have increased x 10(42 to 445). My doc believes it is the stocrin and has told me to stop as of today and has prescribed rayataz 300mg (2x150) once per day and asked for me to return in 2 weeks to check my liver again. My concern is from my research into rayataz.. it says that it should be boosted with 100mg novir when combined with viread. Has my doc made a mistake or is he being cautious because of my high liver readings or can the rayataz be boosted at a later date if required (is it required). A response would be great for a piece of mind and for consultation with my doc in 2 weeks time.

Greatly appreciated Thescot

Thescot, hello and thanks for your post.

The first question I'd have is if the abnormal liver function tests have been repeated. Whenever possible, if I'm faced with an unexpected abnormality, I'd repeat the test prior to making any treatment change.

If confirmed, I'm with your doctor in suspecting that the efavirenz (Stocrin, Sustiva) is more likely to be the culprit and a switch could be considered.

Atazanavir (Reyataz) could be one option- generally very well tolerated and once-daily dosed; but you are entirely correct in that if you use atazanavir with tenofovir (Viread), you must use ritonavir (Norvir) boosting (100 mg ritonavir with 300 mg atazanavir).

I'd try to contact your doctor before the 2 week check to try to adjust the dose (and medication). An alternative to atazanavir with tenofovir would be to use fosamprenavir (Lexiva/Telzir; boosted or unboosted) or lopinavir/ritonavir (Kaletra).

Hope this helps. Let us know how things turn out. BY

genotyping
am i already full blown AIDS or am i still HIV+