genotyping

Hello.

I was diagnosed Jan of 2002. I was never Genotyped. I was off medication for 1 year (enlarged painful liver with normal enzymes was the reason), and asked my HIV provider about doing a genotype.

I was told that unless my therapy had failed, that the test would be useless, and I am having a hard time understanding why.

(PS - I am now on meds again.)

Thanks for your post.

Current US treatment guidelines recommend getting baseline drug resistance testing in all persons. Your current situation is one where tests would be less sensitive in detection of resistance to your previous drug regimen; nevertheless resistance testing now would give a good estimate of whether your were initially infected with drug resistant HIV.

If you were my patient, I would have ordered a resistance test prior to restarting medications- now that you're back on medications, if your viral load is less than 500 copies, testing wouldn't be able to be performed. Not to worry though, if your viral load is heading to (or is) undetectable, this means that the medications that you're taking are sufficiently potent.

Hope this helps. BY

H.I.V in new born babies
Re-cd4