Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
  Breaking News: FDA Approves Triumeq, New Once-Daily Combination Pill

Ask the Experts About

Choosing Your MedsChoosing Your Meds

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

CRACK / COCAINE AND ATRIPLA
Jan 4, 2007

I WAS TOLD I HAVE FULL-BLOWN AIDS.I HAVE BEEN SMOKING CRACK FOR THE LAST 10 YEARS 24/7 AND STILL DO. DOES CRACK MULTIPLY THE VIRIS FASTER? I JUST STARTED TAKING ATRIPLA,IS IT SAFE TO SMOKE CRACK WHILE TAKING ATRIPLA?

Response from Dr. Wohl

My friend, smoking crack 24/7 is just not safe period. There are some data to suggest that cocaine can facilitate HIV replication - especially in the brain, an organ Woody Allen famously noted to be his second favorite organ.

Does this mean your Atripla is doomed to fail? No. It only means that, according to the data available, you are more likely to have trouble controlling your virus and getting your CD4 cells up. This could be due to some effects of the drug on the virus and/or the immune system or because your drug use will interfere with your medical adherence. Those are the stats.

What a great moment to consider getting free from the crack! Starting on a new HIV regimen is a perfect opportunity to get in shape and on track to a long life. Remember Wohl's Rule for Successful Living with HIV: judge all you consider putting in your body based on whether it/he/she helps or hurts in your efforts to live long enough to see a cure for HIV. If it fails, keep it out.

Now, let's see, crack? Causes constriction of heart arteries that can lead to premature heart attacks, reduces appetite, increases risk of unprotected sex, probably not good for the lungs, may be gasoline on the HIV fire. I think crack fails.

If you can't stop on your own, NA or other groups can help. You are worth it.

DW

Previous
Merck integrase inhibitor
Next
Follow up: Dialysis nurse with eye splash incident

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.