Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Choosing Your MedsChoosing Your Meds

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Cleaning Cat Vomit
Jan 3, 2007

Hi,

Ive been positive for 8 years now my immune system is strong (T cells 697), HIV is undetectable. I've read alot about using care with cleaning a cats litter box because of Toxoplasmosis. My question is what about when cats have furballs or they vomit and I have to clean it up. Can that give me Toxo or any other disease. Should I be concerned and how do I clean that up if it is infectious to me.

Thanks for your help,

Cat Lover

Response from Dr. Pierone

Here is a link to an authoritative article which details the very low risk of toxoplasmosis transmission from cats. This is a policy statement from kindred cat lovers in "The Cat Group".

The answer to your question is that you may clean up fur ball associated vomit from your cat (I have this job in my household as well and it is indeed a noble calling). It seems prudent to use gloves and wash your hands afterward.

Thanks for posting and best of luck!

Previous
stop T20?
Next
VL way up

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.