Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: Expert Opinions on HIV Cure Research

Ask the Experts About

Choosing Your MedsChoosing Your Meds

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Followup: Thanks, and fungal question
Jan 2, 2007

Thanks for the follow-up Dr Wohl.

I asked about people that may have had low CD4 counts prior to infection with HIV.

I had a scare about seven years ago where both myself and my Dr at the time were afraid I was having a bad sero-conversion. It ended up NOT being HIV, but was a "Hepatitis like" infection (not A, B, or C). I know he ordered an HIV antibody test AND a Viral Load test (that both came back negative). I'm hopeful that he also went ahead and ordered a CD4/CD8 count (but I can't specifically remember). I've put in a HIPAA request from my prior provider for copies of those lab results.

My anxiety is centered around this statement: 200-500 CD4+ Cells Increased risk for shingles (zoster), thrush (candida), skin infections, bacterial sinus and lung infections, and TB. Opportunistic infections (such as PCP, MAC and CMV) are rare.

This could easily describe my pre-HIV health state (minus the shingles & TB), which is why I'm anxious.

But, what hat I took away from your previous comments was that this is probably not the case for me, because naturally low CD4 count is more hereditary than not, and since the majority of my family, while having what we call weak constitutions, generally survive and live long lives, then I probably have just had, as you say, bad luck, and not something more systemic.

Thanks!

Response from Dr. Wohl

Right. While some people can develop low CD4 cell counts, especially during illness, it is rare to see profound low CD4 cell counts in otherwise healthy people. There is an HIV-negative AIDS like disease but this is extremely uncommon.

The health of your family members is reassuring.

DW

Previous
Kaletra and Crystal Meth - deadly combo?
Next
fatigue and diarrhea

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.