Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: Expert Opinions on HIV Cure Research

Ask the Experts About

Choosing Your MedsChoosing Your Meds

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

should i start med's
Jan 1, 2007

hello Doc happy new year i am hiv positive since 2004 over the last 8 months my cd4 is averaging between 480 with 376 being my lastlab work results and vl beind 11,500 my doc want to start me off on Sustiva and Truvada should I start or hold it off. Thank you

Response from Dr. Young

Happy new year to you and thanks for your post.

If you're currently not experiencing HIV-related symptoms, current treatment guidelines don't recommend starting treatment until your CD4 counts are reproducibly below 350 cells.

Your viral load is low-average, indicating that your risk of disease progression is, well, average- but certainly not high in the short term.

If you're reluctant to start, there would be little harm in waiting a month or two to get another set of labs to see where things are.

On the other hand, current treatments like tenofovir/FTC (Truvada) and efavirenz (Sustiva, Stocrin) or their triple combo pill (Atripla) are very well tolerated. I think that a major reason that many wait to start is because of fear of side effects or too many pills. Such current regimens have solved many of these needs and decrease the reluctance to start.

Hope this helps. BY

Previous
"ooops took it twice" how to avoid it...
Next
Primary infection & prognosis

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.