switching to Viramune

Hi Doc, Brief history: I am a 44 year old black male who first started taking meds in April 2006 - Sustiva and Epizicom. Two weeks into the regime I developed a severe rash/reaction and had to stop completely. I was then switched to Combivir and Lexiva(unboosted). My viral load has been undectable for 6 months and my t-cell count is 600 at 18%. Problem: My skin is getting noticeably darker and darker. My doctor thinks it's the AZT in Combivir, and so we've agreed to switch to Viramune (and Epivir and Lexiva). Is this a good combination? What side effects should I look out for? Is it OK for me to still take Lexiva unboosted? Since my t-cells are over 400 is Viramune safe for me? Are the allergic reactions on Viramune life-threatening? My vitals are all excellent (heart, liver, kidneys, lungs, weight, blood pressure, cholesterol, etc.)

Thanks in advance for all of your help.

Thank you for your post.

I have several concerns about your doctor's current plans.

First, it's unfortunate that we don't have more information about your reaction to the first drug regimen. Since your black, it's rather unlikely (though certainly possible) that you had an allergic reaction to abacavir (one of the components of Epzicom), but rather had an allergic rash to efavirenz (Sustiva, Stocrin). At this point, though, it would be imprudent to recommend using either of the two medications in the future.

On your current regimen of AZT/3TC (Combivir) and fosamprenavir (Lexiva, Telzir), the darkening of your skin is undoubtedly due to AZT. Darkening of the skin is a known side effect of AZT and is somewhat more common among blacks. In this regard, I agree with your doctor that switching out the AZT makes sense.

Switching from AZT to nevirapine (NVP, Viramune) is what I have questions about. Normally, if one has a reaction to a nuke medication like AZT, the strategy would be to replace one nuke with another. Hence, the conventional approach would be to switch from AZT to tenofovir (TDF, Viread) or from Combivir to the combination TDF/FTC (Truvada). If there were reasons not to use TDF, a differrent nuke, ddI (Videx) might also be considered.

The use of NVP would be unconventional in your setting- giving you a first-line regimen of a medication from three different drug classes. This would not be among the recommened approaches in the DHHS or IAS HIV treatment guidelines. Further, as you point out, the initiation of nevirapine among persons with higher CD4 counts (women with counts greater than 250, men with counts greater than 450) is not recommended because of the significantly increased risk of liver toxicity.

Lastly, while it's fine to use fosamprenavir unboosted, most HIV treaters in the US and Europe use the medication with ritonavir (Norvir) boosting.

I hope this is helpfu. Write us back and let us know what you and your doctor decide to do. BY

Simple thank you.
waiting?