Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Choosing Your MedsChoosing Your Meds

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

IS IT TIME TO START?
Dec 23, 2006

Im HIV positive since 1999. In Brazil, where I live, the sense is start the Haart therapy with CD4 about 200 or less. My last results for CD4 is 483. Is important to wait more? My viral load is about 8000.

Response from Dr. Wohl

here in the US, we generally initiate therapy when the CD4 cell count is 350. This is a made up number. Data from some studies show that those who start HIV meds with a count below 200 do worse than those who are treated at higher counts. We used to feel comfortable treating when the CD4 cell count was 500. What is the number exactly between 200 and 500, right, 350.

There is increasing evidence that starting HIV treatment earlier than 200 (and maybe even above 350) is better over the long run.

Your viral laod is relatively low. This means your CD4 cell count will likely fall at a slow rate. If it was me and HIV therapy was available to me, I would start treatment at a CD4 cell count above 350.

DW

Previous
Should I start treatment
Next
Meds with Anti-depressants?

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.