Stop Smoking Aids

I am preparing to quit smoking and have tried all the past available medications and cessation. I would like to use Chantix, the new stop smoking aid. Are there any studies on Chantix and HIV Meds? My physician does not want me to use it until he can locate a study that supports it's use for HIV'ers on HIV meds. I look forward to hearing from you. Daniel

Dear Daniel,

Ask your doctor to go to the Chantix website and download the package insert. He will learn that the drug is metabolized through the kidney (almost all HIV drugs get broken down in the liver) and that there are no known drug interactions with Chantix - even with drugs also eliminated through the kideny.

It is important that you stop smoking. There are no studies of interactins between aspirin or Tylenol and HIV meds but we feel comfortable using these. Chantix is safe to use with HIV meds.

Acute HIV! In a study @ UNC-C
Long acting meds in the pipeline?