Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: Expert Opinions on HIV Cure Research

Ask the Experts About

Choosing Your MedsChoosing Your Meds

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Stop Smoking Aids
Dec 20, 2006

I am preparing to quit smoking and have tried all the past available medications and cessation. I would like to use Chantix, the new stop smoking aid. Are there any studies on Chantix and HIV Meds? My physician does not want me to use it until he can locate a study that supports it's use for HIV'ers on HIV meds. I look forward to hearing from you. Daniel

Response from Dr. Wohl

Dear Daniel,

Ask your doctor to go to the Chantix website and download the package insert. He will learn that the drug is metabolized through the kidney (almost all HIV drugs get broken down in the liver) and that there are no known drug interactions with Chantix - even with drugs also eliminated through the kideny.

It is important that you stop smoking. There are no studies of interactins between aspirin or Tylenol and HIV meds but we feel comfortable using these. Chantix is safe to use with HIV meds.

DW

Previous
Acute HIV! In a study @ UNC-C
Next
Long acting meds in the pipeline?

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.