Simplifying from Combivir/Viramune to Trizivir

I have been on Combivir plus Viramune for one year, with an undetectable viral load since shortly after beginning treatment. Would switching to Trizivir have any advantages or disadvantages? Thanks!

Response from Dr. Boyle

No, so long as your viral load is undetectable (<50 copies/mL), I do not see much advantage. If you're tolerating your current regimen well and have not experienced any toxicity from any of the medications, it is unlikely you will have problems in the future. The very small difference in pill number (2 vs. 4 a day) has minimum impact on adherence in general, and you have been doing well with the 4 pill regimen for over a year anyway. Anytime you introduce a new medication, there is a risk of intolerance or new toxicity. This fits into the category that "if it ain't broke, don't fix it." Good luck and keep up the good work. BB

Regimen adherence and Diflucan use
what's best for me?