|re: This is all i Have to Look Forward To
Dec 6, 2006
To the young guy who posted on 06/9/06 with this title and to Dr BY
Take heart! I've lived with HIV since 1988 and been on HAART since Jul 1997.
My plasma RNA VL is undetectable (has been for 8 years) my CD4+ T cells have been >1000 since 1998 and I'm fit and well for a 53 yo. Minimal side effects, life is great!
When I was first diagnosed (I was seroconverting at the time) I was told by a very sympathic and hugely talented HIV doctor (who remained my physician until he retired 2 years ago) that "nothing would happen for 3 years"... now I'm 19 years on.... thank those 'angels of light' the clinicians and scientists who do their alchemy and produce great treatments!! :-)
I once thought I'd never see my kids finish graduate school, never see my grandkids, and expected a life full of disease and unrelenting misery.
Quite the reverse: I am having a full, beautiful life, work for an AIDS organisation helping my fellow poz brothers & sisters live well and happily, have had for 6+ years a beautiful lover who is also poz, have a fabulous sex-life (both with him and other guys with whom we play :-) ), enjoy my kids and grandkids (both little chocolate colored African-Australians).
My story is not unusual! although has been extraordinarily blessed!
My advice: 1. Stay informed about your health (you have the power!)
2. Go to workshops/seminars regularly on living with HIV, but:
3. Don't let it rule your life: there's more!
4. Take your meds (100% adherence!)
5. Find a kindred soul with whom to fall desperately and hopelessly in love... you know what Nicole and Ewan said in Moulin Rouge... the greatest thing is to love and be loved in return.
an Ozzie +ve brother
| Response from Dr. Young
Dear Ozzie bro,
Good on ya for sharing your inspiring and meaningful story. Cheers, BY
Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS
- What Is The Non Contagious Type Of Hepatitis?
- Statistics Of Women Contracting Hiv From One Encounter Of Unprotected Sex
- Hiv Patient Teaching
- Can Thrush Live On Your Toothbrush?
- Is Restless Leg Syndrome Considered Peripheral Neuropathy?
- Cases Of Wife Contracting Hiv After Husband Had Visited A Prostitute
This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.
Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.