TERRIFIED BY SLOW RESULTS

Hello. Early last summer, I was diagnosed positive, with the double whammy that my t-cell count was only 109. I was immediately started on Sustiva and Truvada. At my 30 day test, my viral load had become undetectable, but my t-cells only rose to 142. I just got the results of my 4 month tests today -- my viral load is still undetectable, but my tcells have only risen further to 150. I understand that tcells are affected by stress -- just last week my wonderful companion, my beautiful 12 year old golden retriever, died, and I had my tests the next day. At any rate, it is now World AIDS Day, and with all this publicity on television I am terrified my meds are not working and are failing me? Am I going to be one of the ones for whom the meds don't work? I am very scared and terrified. My doctor did not really give me much information, so I am left wondering what is going on, and how abnormal a response this is given where I started (at 109). Any information you could give me would be so appreciated. Thank You.

Hi and thanks for your World AIDS day post.

There's no need to be terrified. The meds that you are taking are working just fine. Your viral load very quickly reached undetectable levels-- a very strong indicator of the potency of your drug regimen against your virus.

I'd be very happy with a 35-40% increase in your total CD4 cell count in just 4 months. There may be an expectation that you'll see a 40 cell rise each and every time you get labs, but that's simply not the case. If it will help, take a look at your CD4 percentages, my guess is that you'll see a slow and gradual increase on both sets of labs.

Hope this helps. Write back anytime. BY

Atripla
Never give up!