INDINAVIR, NORVIR, LAMIVUDINA

Drs. Iam from Bolivia My brother was diagnosed aids 6 months ago he had only 2 cd4 cells The Dr. is givving him Inidavir, Norvir and lamivudina, do you think this is a good combination or do you think he should try different drugs. What is the chance of living of my brother and will he be able to live a normal life if he gets his cd 4 higher. Would you recomend T20 now or once his cd4 are higher. Thank you very much

I suspect your brother is on one more additional drug (probably zidovudine or stavudine) along with his indinavir, ritonavir and lamivudine. If he is not, he should be.

This is an older combination of drugs not used much in the US but it should work to reduce the level of virus and allow some restoration of the CD4 cells. A major problem with this combination is kidney stones. Have him drink a lot of water every day. I do not know what other HIV meds are available in Bolivia that may be better tolerated.

There is no need for T-20 at this point. This is a medication best reserved for when there are limited alternative options. If your brother does acheive an increase in his CD4 cell count on his current medications, this will demonstrate their effectiveness and I would not intensify by adding another drugs such as T-20.

It is difficult to say what your brother's prognosis is. His CD4 cell count is very low and recovery of CD4 cells is often difficult under such circumstances. If he takes his medications as directed and does not suffer side effects that force the discontinuation of HIV therapy, he has a chance for recovery.

Don't worry....
Does sustiva lower Kaletra too much?