spleen removal and life expectancy

my daughter needs to have her enlarged spleen removed. Are there any research that show the life expectancy or treatment after removing the spleen?

Thanks for your post.

The key unmentioned question is why spleen removal (splenectomy) is needed- I'd think that the major determinate of life expectancy following splenectomy isn't the lack of the spleen, but the underlying disease state that led to the removal.

In one study of traumatic splenic rupture followed by splenectomy in children, there was no significant evidence of change in life expectancy.

In the event of elective splenectomy, there should be every attempt to vaccinate your daughter against pneumococcal pneumonia (Pneumovax) and H. flu.

I hope this helps. Best of luck to you and your daughter. BY

Combivir & Tenofovir
Relationship of CD4 count to CD4 %