Nov 24, 2006
my cousin started taking rayataz and after 15 days his biliburine was very high.Is it normal at the beggining or it may become worse/better after some time?is it a sign that the medication should be stopped?
| Response from Dr. Young
Thank you for your post.
Elevations in total bilirubin are not uncommon (or serious) among persons taking the protease inhibitor atazanavir (Reyataz). For a minority of persons, this elevation can result in yellowing of the eyes (called icterus) or skin (called jaundice). Such appearance-related side effects, while disconcerting for many, reverses on discontinuation of medication.
For the majority of patients, elevations in bilirubin are a laboratory abnormality that does not result in any known long-term medical issues.
Hope this helps. BY
Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS
- Cold Feet After Sex With Stripper Condom Broke Worried I Have HIV
- Dark Bumps After Anal Sex With Condom Does It Mean I Have HIV
- Diarrhea After Receptive Anal Sex Without Condom Does It Mean I Have HIV
- Enlarged Lymph Nodes After Deep Kissing Worried I Have HIV
- Itchy Red Spots After Receiving Head Sign Of HIV AIDS
- Painful Ejaculation After Anal Sex Without Condom Does It Mean I Have HIV
This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.
Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.