Micronutrient results

This post may not be appropriate for the board but you may want to share with your colleages. After a diagnosis of PML a year ago I was at 24 T-cells (4%). One year later I was at 237 T-cells (13%) on Sustiva/Truvada. I added Jon Kaiser's K-Pax 12 weeks ago and now I'm at 401 T-cells (15%). I know it's only anecdotal but I wish more research would be done in this area. My gain of 164 T-cells in 12 weeks is a personal best for me, and I've been HIV + for 20 years. My PML is resolving as well (I can now walk), no doubt due to a stronger immune system. Thanks.

Thanks for your post.

I'm happy to hear that your doing well and improving following your very advanced AIDS diagnosis.

First off, I'd try to to overinterpret any single lab test, particularly when it comes to absolute CD4 counts. When there is a question about the veracity of an absolute lab measurement, I'll look at the CD4 percentage to see correlation (or not) of the trend. Based on typical or average lab results, a CD4 count of 400 should be accompanied by a percentage of approximately 30; conversely, a CD4 count of 200 is equivalent to a 15% reading.

Kaiser's approach has gotten recent attention for the additional CD4 cell rise associated with K-Pax. Not to burst your bubble, but if I read your labs correctly, you had a 9% rise in your CD4% over 12 months while on Truvada/Sustiva, or 0.75% per month. If you wait an additional 12 weeks (3 months), I'd expect to see a 3 x 0.75% further increase, or 2.25%. By this crude algebra, your predicted CD4% should be 13 + 2.25 or 15.25%-- exactly the number that you see.

While your CD4 rise is of course a good thing, these labs (anecdotal as they are), don't seem to support that K-Pax is the responsible variable.

Either way, thanks for sharing your story. Let us know how things continue to evolve for you. Best of health, BY

Nuprigen & Procrit
Re: Micronutrient results