Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter 

Life expectancy

I read an article in the paper yesterday that said how expensive it is to treat someone with HIV for a lifetime. While that was obvious to me, what came as a bit of a shock was the statement that the life expectancy is now 24 years from intial infection. I have an udetectable VL and T-cells in the 900s. But, having been positive sinve 1986, should I assume the end is coming soon?

HCS Hollywood, FL

HCS, thanks for your post.

The study that you refer to speaks to the average increase in life expectancy among persons living with HIV.

I'm sure that you'd agree that you're not the average survivor of HIV-- unfortunately, most persons who got HIV in 1986 have died- you're the fortunate exception.

With a current undetectable viral load and CD4 count well in the normal range, I'd expect you to live for many, many healthy years more.

Best of health, BY

Is Sustiva OK for a depressed person?
Nuprigen & Procrit