Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter 

Truvada + Soctrin

First off all I want to thank you all for this wonderful helpful and extremely professional informational website. Im from Sweden, a 45 years old male and was diagnosed with HIV September 21. I was then hospitalized because off serious pneumonia. My normal weight of 70kg (ht:178cm) had dropped to 59kg in just one month. At the time of my hospitalizing my viral-count was 410.000/ml and my cd4-Tcells <0.01. (What I understand means that I got an AIDS diagnosis) I was first put on med for my pneumonia Betapred and Bactrim, with very good results.

After one week I was put on Truvada and Stoctrin with absolutely no complications. My visit to the hospital today November 14, 2006 shows that after just over a month my viral-count has dropped to under 400/ml and my cd4-Tcells has increased to > 150, and as of today my weight has also increased back to my normal weight. My doc has also performed extensive other types of blood tests all with normal results. My doc believes that I probably has have HIV for about 10-15 years and most likely exposed myself during the 10 years I lived in San Francisco.

My question to you is if its normal for one who has had HIV for such a long time to still live a healthy life without any symptoms? (as I have) and is it normal and not uncommon for one to increase ones such low viral-count and cd4-Tcells and ones weight so quickly in just over one months time? Since I after all was very sick in pneumonia.

For what I understand I must consider myself very lucky to live in Sweden, since all medical expenses are free of charge here for people with HIV, since we have very tuff government laws regarding preventing and the spreading of HIV, witch sadly isnt the case for many people infected with this disease. Furthermore, would you agree with my doc that Stoctrin + Truvada and Bactrim is a highly recommended combination treatment for HIV in my case?

Im now a very thankful and happy Swede, with very good response and the excellent professional care for the treatment I get here in Sweden. Im also involved in a study that monitors all Scandinavians to se witch drug treatments that is available today has least complications and effectiveness with the drugs that are available here in Scandinavia . And that I hopefully can give others some hope for the future if you agree with my treatment? However, Im aware of that a great other things depends on how one reacts depending on ones health status and the reactions for ones drug treatment for HIV. Thanking you in advance for your reply. Sincerely a very (for now) happy Swede. Ps: Sorry for the long info. Ds:

Thanks for your post, our new Swedish friend. No worries about your lengthy question.

Yes, it is entirely possible to live for a very long time with HIV, without symptoms- indeed, this is the very problem with HIV transmission, since many persons living with HIV don't have symptoms, don't know that they are infected (or at risk of transmitting the virus to their friends or lovers).

I'm heartened to hear that you have a good doctor and access to good HIV medications. I want to also thank you for your participation in the clinical studies in your country- it's through efforts like yours that we continue to learn about how to improve how treatments are delivered.

Your viral load and CD4 cell responses are very good ones- a 150 cell rise in one month is certainly larger and faster than average, but nothing to be upset about, rather a cause for a little celebration. Achieving undetectable viral loads after such a short period of time is not rare, but depends entirely on how high the viral load was prior to starting medications. Those with lower initial viral loads reach this important benchmark quicker than those who start meds with high viral loads.

Yes, the combination of tenofovir/FTC (Truvada) and efavirenz (Stocrin, Sustiva) is very highly recommended by all current treatment guidelines. Until your CD4 count is reproducibly above 200, you'll need to continue on trimethoprim/sulfamethoxazole (TMP/SMX, Bactrim, Cotrimoxazole) to prevent Pneumocystis pneumonia (PCP).

Hope this helps. Stay in touch. Let us know how you're doing from time to time. BY

atleast read my problem
No Sustiva?