Kidney problems

Dear Dr. Pierone, I am scheduled to have a nephrectomy of the left kidney this Monday. This is due to obstucted kidney from the narrowing of ureter as it joins renal pelvis. After a severe infection of the complete UT last year I learned that I have a deformed kidney from birth. The doctor told that this not an uncommon thing and that it is not usual for it to cause problems as one advances in years. I was going in every four months to have a stent replaced in the renal pelvis. As much as the thought of surgery scares me, I feel that I'd rather have this operation done and therefor end the life-long need of a cystoscopy every four months. I now would like to know of any links that there might be for imformation as to one's HIV/AIDS meds and their affect on the kidney. Since I will be living with just one kidney soon I would like to have as much information as to best protect its/my health in the future. My current coctail is: Viramune 200mg 1 bid,Viracept 250mg 4 bid, (and yes I know that that is not the normal dosage), and Ziagen 300mg 1 bid. I have been on this regimen for over six years. My viral load has been undetectable for all this time, with a slow but cosiderable increase in T cell count over the years; cosidering that I at one time had none. If you know of any links to sites with specific imformation as to meds and kidney function/health, kindly pass them on to me. Thank you, Donn

Hello, and thanks for posting.

There are many people who survive and thrive with only one kidney so this should not be a problem for you. Your kidney specialist may have specific recommendations for you based on your overall medical situation. But in general, people living with one kidney are able to consume a regular diet and simply need to avoid medications with potential kidney toxicity.

lymphocyte subset panel 5
Just received lab results...very scared