Reality Check

I was diagnosed with AIDS in 2004 CD4-180 viral load >90,000. My CD-4 count now is 630 and viral load is <50. Now that my numbers are great is my life expectancy as good as someone who is just diagnosed with HIV with my currents numbers. Or since my numbers were once bad, will that take its toll on my body in the future.

Thanks for your post.

Sounds to me like you've had a great response to HIV treatment. Accurately predicting life expectancy is never a precise thing. Nevertheless, for someone like you on a well-tolerated and adhered-to drug regimen with an undetectable viral load and normal-range CD4 count, I expect you live as long (perhaps longer) than someone who was just diagnosed (and not yet on treatment) with the same numbers.

Several studies show that the life expectancy for HIVers continues to improve. A recent study calculates 24 years; a number that I expect will continue to grow with additional years.

Best of health, BY

when to start taking meds
lymphocyte subset panel 5