re: weight loss

Hi Dr Young,

I've been hiv+ for 4 years. I've dropped from 93 pounds to 80 in the last 5 months. This goes with a CD4 count drop from 430 to 181. Strangley, my general health is good. I suffer alot from fatigue but that's it.

So I guess I wanted to let people know that weight loss is not great from a cosmetic point of view, but I seem to be ok with it.

Thank you for your caring responses to all these questions.

Thanks for your post and comments, but whoa, hang on a second.

I'll take issue (and your health's side) in reflecting that you've lost 13 of 90 pounds-- that's 14% of your body weight. Anything over an unintentional 10% qualifies as AIDS wasting. Add to this suffering "a lot from fatigue" and a CD4 count below 200 and I've got a description of a person who's not doing as "ok" as I'd like to see.

I'd suggest that with your symptoms that starting antiretroviral therapy would be a good thing and I'd wager that once started, your fatigue and weight loss would reverse.

I hope this is helpful. BY

OZONE
Sustiva / Kivexa and...