Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

Ask the Experts About

Choosing Your MedsChoosing Your Meds

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Viral load low and CD4 count results stable without treatment
Nov 6, 2006

Hi . I was diagnosed in 2000 , but I am pretty certain I have been infected since the mid nineties. My blood work in the past six years has yielded results that are almost identical. My basesline CD4 was around 600 copies with a minuscle amount of virus , say around 50 copies, and since then my cd4 count , in 2001, 02, 03, 04, 05, and now 06 have have been roughly the same numbers (between 550 and 750) and my viral load between 50 -500 copies. Now , that said and done, what has been happening is that my CD4 percentages have been bopping up and down . So from a high of 34 five years ago it went to 24 point something just recently. Is that significant?My consultant says no. As like viral blips and cd4 blips , it could be that . I have never had any illness save for a bout of shingles three years ago in australia, which cleared up in 5 days with acyclovir. Furthermore ,my consultant is happy to just keep an eye on things once yearly. He says that out of all his patients ,I am one of a very few who have good immune response to the infection. By the way I was also infected the HCV virus around the same time , but have since then cleared it,however I remain anti body positive , I am not a carrier. sincerely daniel

Response from Dr. Pierone

Hello, and thanks for posting.

I would agree with your consultant that your situation is unusual and very favorable. Your course is consistent with long-term non-progression and periodic (6 to 12 month interval) monitoring is appropriate. I don't think the CD4+ lymphocyte count percentage decrease is a concern and would continue to trend things. Best of luck to you!

Previous
recent labs
Next
Doctor will not listen, what should i do?

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.