Been poz for 10 years, is it time to start meds?

My new doctor told me today that I did not need to be on meds right now. I am not sure I agree with him. I was diagnosed with hiv in Jan of 2001. I know for a fact that I contracted it in the summer of 1996. My CD4 is 456 and my VL is 43009. So I have been living with this for 10 years now. I also have herpes, high-blood pressure, gout, acid reflux and chronic diarrhea, my digestive system is terrible; I know that is a lot for one person to have. Also just recently I had a staph infection on my face and he prescribed Clindamycin which worked, but he also told me that I have some sort of bacteria that loves antibiotics; so you can not prescribe antibiotics for it and it will clear up on its own in a few months. It starts with the letter M; I cant think of the name of it right now. He prescibed mupirocin nasal which is the generic bactroban nasal and told me to purchase hibiclens; which is (chlorhexidine gluconate solution 4.0% w/v) and that should help clear it up. With all of the things I have; coupled with the fact of how long I have been positive; I thought it was time to start on hiv meds. He said No. Is he right?

Thanks for your post.

You have methicillin-resistant Staph aureus (MRSA) skin infection- a condition of increasing frequency in the general (not just HIV) population. MRSA infection alone isn't a reason to start HIV treatments; with your counts and other symptoms, I'm in agreement with your doctor in that now isn't necessarily the time to start.

Hope this helps, BY

hiv/aids
Kaposi sarcoma