Just tested HIV +

Hi my name is Billy and I just tested HIV + about a month and a half ago. I had my first labs done and I got my results back my CD 4 is 774 and Viral load is 1,600 What advice can you give me about starting meds now. or would I be better off to wait? I think I have been poz for about a year. I was neg a year and 3 months ago. So any advice you may give I would greatly appreciate it.

Billy

Wait. Your CD4 cell count is high and your viral load really low. Available data suggest that your CD4 cells will drop very slowly over time. Currently, we HIV docs are generally in agreement that when the CD4 hits around 350, it is time for HIV meds. It will take you years to get that low.

Now, data may emerge suggesting that starting therapy earlier is beneficial but meanwhile I would keep fit, practice safe sex, get your numbers checked every 5 months and hold off on starting HIV meds.

sero-discordance
Treatment with Efavirenz 600 mg