New to meds. Truvada Vs Combivir

Hi Dr.,I was just diagnosed with HIV and HCV. My HIV Dr. put me on Combivir and Sustiva. I have read that AZT can cause thymidine analog and lead to lipoatrophy and ,or lipohypertrophy is this only when the AZT is combined with D4t or could this happen with AZT in other combinations like in combivir? I have also read that new drugs like Truvada are less likely to cause this, is this true? My next question is about Sustiva, in the meds handout that the drug store gave me I read that it could cause abnormal body fat distribution. I have not chosen to tell my friends or family as of yet about my diagnoses, am I going to become a walking HIV billboard if I continue this med combo? PLEASE HELP

It is true that Truvada is less likely than Combivir to cause adverse events and this is one of the reasons for the major shift away from Combivir. Sustiva is not particularly known for producing abnormal body fat and is actually less of a culprit than protease inhibitors or thymidine analogues in this regard. Based on the recent trial data showing better results with Truvada over Combivir it makes sense to discuss a switch with your doctor. Good luck and thanks for posting.

cd4 count gradually declining
sero-discordance