Pregnancy and retrovirals

Hi Dr Young

for the past 6 months ive been on Duovir and Nevirapin and this was because i told my doctor i was hoping to have a baby. Now my cd4 wh was 198 is now 360 and viral load at 100600 is now less than 25 i am now 6 weeks pregnant but here in Africa our doctors sometimes get confused i think. My gynaecologist is saying normally he believes is should stop the retrovirals now im pregnant and my hiv doctor says i should continue. However i have the hiv doctor isnt so sure of herself because she is refering me to another gynaecologist who is a specialist in hiv. please can i have your opinion on this? Thanks so much once again for answering my questions

regards.

Thanks for your post.

The basic principle about HIV treatments during pregnancy is to lower the HIV viral load as low as possible, undetectable- if possible.

Since your currently tolerating your medications and have an undetectable viral load, there's no reason at all to stop your antiretroviral medications.

I'd feel very strongly that you should stay on your medications.

Best of health to you and your child. BY

Here I go again
started treatment