Started Atazanavir

Dear Expert, after a year on Stustiva/Truvada, my first line treatment I adhered perfectly but became unhappy due to the side effects of efavirenz.

I am on my 5th day of Atazanavir/Noriver(boost) + Truvada. So far I feel like a new man..I have energy again..I sing, whistle, shout and laugh.

My question is: Can I help my liver to clean out the high levels of bilirubin that Atazanavier causes in some peoples blood? I'll do anything to help..I've always had great l/f except when it was trying to shift over 5000,0000 copies of HIV a day. I really like this new treatment, am excited for the first time since I got my diagnosis two and a half years ago. I would so much rather not look like I have jaundice. Thank you so much for your time and care..which is so much appreciated. Jonny

There is nothing I am aware of that you can do to minimize the elevated bilirubin that often, but not always, develops on atazanavir (Reyataz) - especially when boosted with Norvir.

The good news is that this elevation of bilirubin is usually pretty mild and not dangerous. Fortunately, noticeable jaundice is not common. Hopefully, you will be one of the majority that tolerate this med without a problem.

Part 2 - Is NNRTI class a MUST?
resistance testing