Part 2 - Is NNRTI class a MUST?

Thanks Dr. Wohl, I'm currently taking 1)Sustiva 300mg twice daily 2)Kivexa once daily 3)Kaletra "tablets" (no fridge) 2 Bid and I WANT to drop 1)Sustiva (due to an episode of "almost hurt someone")....and keeping only Kivexa + Kaletra, possible?

For the past 4 yrs: CD 4 = 250 - 470 % = 15% - 27% VL = Undetectable for 4 yrs

Thanks again and best regards.

Canadian

I think you can drop the Sustiva IF it is likely your virus is not resistant to the abacavir in Kivexa (also called Epzicom) or the Kaletra. Note, if you drop the Sustiva (after discussing this with your doctor), the dose of Kaletra will need to be altered as more Kaletra is taken when co-administered with Sustiva.

Studies of initial HIV therapy have found no benefit of three class regimens (PI + NNRTI + NRTI) versus combos of two classes (NRTI + PI or NRTI + NNRTI).

If you are not on your first regimen, it can be more complicated and discussion with your doc on how to safely come off of Sustiva will be essential.

shortage of atripla
Started Atazanavir