To Switch or Not to Switch that is the ?

I am a 42 yr old female diagnosed in 97. I have had great CD4 counts (over 1000) since treatment and below 50 VL. sounds good huh, not entirely. I have two stents (abdominal aortic and femoral artery), hyper coagulation syndrome, have had several TIAs and I have high cholesterol all diagnosed within the last 2 years. Currently I am on Truvada, Norvir, Reyataz, Crestor, Plavix and Coumadin. So my question is this, what is the best HIV regimen out there that is cholesterol friendly based on the information I provided.

Greatly appreciated,

SKM

Dear SKM,

There is a possibility your HIV meds are contributing to your lipid woes and, a chance it has nothing to do with it. Your hypercoaguable state is unlikely to be due to the meds. If you have a family history of high lipids or cardiovascular disease, it is even more likely this is not HIV therapy related.

That said, we know ritonavir at baby doses has some effect on lipids (mainly triglycerides). One option is to drop the ritonavir and change to 400 mg of Reyataz. You will then need to get off Truvada as the tenofovir in this drug reduces Reyataz levels dangerously when ritonavir is not included in the mix. Instead you could start Epzicom - especially if you are African American, as the hypersensitivity reaction produced by that drug is very rare in Blacks. If you are white there is a 5%-8% chance you can get the reaction.

Given your difficulties, I might try the Epzicom+Reyatax 400 mg option and see what happens to your lipids. If nothing, then, there is your answer.

Good luck,

Is NNRTI class a MUST?
WHAT ARE SYMPTOMS OF LYMPHOMA IN 5 YEARS OLD?