questioning meds

hi guys

i got diagnosed in feb this year with a vl of 489 000 and cd4 of 51. went onto videx / 3tc / kaletra which was awful and after 1 month my doctor replaced videx with zerit.

my counts in early june was vl 82 and cd4 132.

i went to see another doctor for second opinion and he did not like the fact that i was on zerit and also questioned why i was taking kaletra. asked me what i would take if i developed resistance to kaletra...

is this combo ok? should i change it?

This combination is ok, but in the developed world Zerit use is dropping off and mostly Viread is taking its place. If you are not having side effects from Kaletra then there is no pressing reason to replace it. That said, you could talk to your doctor about switching to Atripla. This is a combination of Sustiva, Viread, and Emtriva in one pill which is taken at bedtime. A large recent study showed that Sustiva-based therapy did better than a Kaletra-based cocktail. But the second doctor's comment about resistance to Kaletra is really strange since one the strengths of this agent is its very high barrier to development of resistance. So in summary, consider Kaletra + Truvada (Viread and Emtriva) or Atripla. Best of luck!

Is STI advisable now?
Help, condom broke