Concerns about long time Stavudine use in a child

My son was diagnosed with AIDS in 1/20/04. As of 6/2004, he has been on a regimen of Stavudine, Lamuvidine and Kaletra. I am concerned about the long term effects of Stavudine. Are there better combinations? Are we going to be sorry that he stays on this drug? Should we ask for a different ARV to replace the Stavudine?

I am very concerned about the toxicities and long term side effects. He is 6 1/2 years old and we have, hopefully, a long way to go. I want to make the best choices for him. Would this be your drug of choice?

In adults there has been a unmistakable shift away from using stavudine (Zerit) towards tenofovir (Viread). One of the main reasons for this change is that Viread has a better side effect profile and can be given once daily. The changes in management of Pediatric AIDS tend to follow the adult trends so I expect that less Zerit will be prescribed for children looking forward. I would discuss this option with your son's doctor and see if a switch from Zerit to Viread is part of the plan. Best of luck to your son!

Starting treatment now
Pain, Tingling, Numbness In Left Hand and Fingers