Just starting Prednisone

I was diagnosed with HIV and HBV two years ago. My recent blood test revealed a blood platelet count of 7 and my GP started me on 50MG of Prednisone today to combat this. My current T-Cell count is holding at 570. Due to the viriliant strain of the HBV co-infection, I am already scheduled to begin a HIV cocktail regimen consisting of 3TC and Tenofovir next week. Persons at my local PWA society have told me to watch out for side effects caused by the Prednisone. Is there any cause for alarm or concerns that I should be aware of either before or after starting my HIV meds with respect to taking Prednisone?

Low platelet count is a problem for some people with HIV infection and your count of 7 is dangerously low. I agree with prednisone. The cause can be that your body is making antibodies against your own platelets. This happens because HIV screws up the control of cells that make antibodies. Prednisone reduces antibody production.

If this does not work, taking out the spleen should. The antibody coated platelets are captured and eaten up by the spleen.

I have had some anecodatal success with giving dapsone to people with low platelets after I read a French article describing good results but other studies have not found this to be the case.

Lastly, I hope your docs are not treating you with just tenofovir and 3TC. Another drug needs to be added so you do not develop HIV resistance to these two medications that treat both HIV and HBV. Treating your HIV may also help you platelets.

Worried About My Latest Labs
Starting treatment now